God’s BDS Movement
Israeli statesman Abba Eban famously said, “The Arabs never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.”
Perhaps the most flagrant recent example of Eban’s statement is the modern “Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions” (BDS) movement. This spiteful manifestation of anti-Jew seeks to injure Israeli economic success as a means to shut down the “start-up nation.”
One major problem: Israel is a blessing to this world (Genesis 12:1–3), including Arab residents and neighbors who also benefit from Israel’s economy.
God has His own, and more genuine, BDS movement, proven over the seven decades since Israel’s rebirth: Breakthrough, Develop and Supply.
This is a partial description of Israel’s actual role in the lives of all who care to notice:
- If your lawn is green
- If your cell phone is humming along unimpeded
- If you have needed surgery and the doctor used a miniature camera to explore your innards
…you are a beneficiary of God’s BDS!
The tiny and much maligned Jewish nation is a hotbed of innovation, with the “Yiddishe kups” (Yiddish, Jewish brains) working tirelessly on scientific and medical breakthroughs that are then enhanced and shared with all.
• Jews and gentiles
• Islamic civilians and terror leaders
• anti-Jewish Europeans
• supporters of the anti-Jewish BDS movement
Reestablishing the State of Israel also introduced forward thinking to the Middle East in the form of:
• A flourishing pluralistic democracy
• Equal human and civil rights for all, including women and minorities • The safest place in the Middle East for Moslems!
Israel’s Declaration of Statehood on May 14, 1948 states:
“THE STATE OF ISRAEL . . . will be based on freedom, justice and peace . . . ensure complete equality of social and political rights . . . guarantee freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture . . . [and] will safeguard the Holy Places of all religions.”
In order to develop these breakthroughs, Israel has the world’s highest per capita rate of university degrees and the highest ratio of scientists and technicians in the workforce (145 per 1,000 citizens, compared to 85 per 1,000 in the U.S.).
While the world commits 1.5% of its GDP to research and development, Israel commits 4% of its GDP to R&D.
Israel is a source of supply to all— friend and foe alike:
- Israeli researchers developed the cellphone (Motorola Israel)
- Israel created a vaccine to treat anthrax
- Israel was the only nation to enter the 21st century with a net gain in its number of trees
- U.S.-Israel partnerships have produced breakthroughs in technology and in biomedical, environmental, and agricultural research, saving the U.S. substantial funds in research and development
Israel’s attitude can be explained by the Hebraic concept of tikkun olam (repair- ing the world). It is inherent in the Jewish culture to leave the world in better shape than we found it.
The benefit of Israel to mankind makes the earthly BDS movement exceptionally hard to fathom. It is not just political; it has roots in the spiritual realm as part of Satan’s ancient hatred for God. The Adversary of men’s souls works constantly to thwart the purpose of the King. Israel is central to the return of Messiah, so the earthly BDS movement is intent on wiping Israel off the face of the Earth.